Friday, December 01, 2006

Recherchez

I love reading my French Bible from time to time because occasionally I find phrases that simply translate better in french! Here's an example that I discovered just yesterday that I want to share with the internet.

Psalm 105:4 - in english (NIV)-
Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.

- en français (new Louis Segond version) -
Cherchez le Seigneur et sa force, recherchez-le constamment.

I like the french better... because the verb "rechercher" - neatly sums up in one word, in a way that doesn't quite translate grammatically into english, that we're being asked to search after having already found Him, i.e re-searching/re-seeking. And it says to keep it up constamment; constantly.

I often forget to do that. After finding God in some awesome way, my natural tendancy is to get complacent... to subconsciously be like, ok so I'm fine now and don't really need God right now cos the fact that He sorted me out in that situation should keep me going for a while.
But right here in this verse, it tells me to do the opposite. To keep searching for God after I've found Him. Desiring more, wanting to know more... I want that to be the case and it can be sometimes, but I find it's a constant battle... especially for someone as naturally lazy as myself... I'm just so grateful that I have
help! :)

P.S 1st December => Christmas is coming =>
AdventBlog has started

No comments: