Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Resplendent In Gowns!

... the motto spoken when port glasses are raised by the Glasgow University Academic Dress Appreciation society, the society at whose meeting Michie and I were meant to be playing music. Unfortunately a piano did not materialise but instead we had the joys of experiencing the first ever meeting of the society!
Highlights include...

- Singing the French national anthem with our left hands on our heads after all "our French cousins are very stylish" but we had to have our left hands on our heads "to show that we don't agree with it".

- Elections of positions such as President/Madame Binky, Keeper of the Robes (Secretary), The Whip and Adhoc Song Committee

- Narrowly escaping being lumped into the Stylistic committee which el Presidente suggested the three of us who are going to France next year should do, since of course we will be exposed to much style in France

- A minutes silence so we could all think about academic dress and how much we appreciate it

- Passing round a Calvin and Hobbes book as a talking stick

- Learning that our current academic dress robes are bright orange/red

- Eating far too many fairy cakes iced in faculty colours

Afterwards once everyone has gone there was a session en secret of chair climbing in the GUU reading room. The aim of the game, to get from one side of the room to the other without touching the floor.

Funniest night I've had in weeks!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh and to think I missed all that for a bible study. Well guess there's always next time.

lil stef said...

Hey! How come you've changed your template again?

Dish said...

I missed minimalism, and the polka dots were starting to annoy me!

Anonymous said...

yip tis a fun template..
(and top of the list in the bogroll! why thankyou!

Dish said...

Yours is the only web address I can remember off the top of my head! :D

lil stef said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lil stef said...

Whoops! Anyways... I just want to say I like the selction of blues you have on your template. Very fancy!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dish - hows life in the west? I wanted to send you a funny email but i don't have your email address so you loose :-)

Dish said...

Keeen! Here is a problem: how do I leave you my email address without putting on the blog?! I'm sure the genius that you are, you will be able to solve it! ;p

Anonymous said...

kjk1@hw.ac.uk

That ones already full of spam anyway so it doesn't matter if it gets crawled.