Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cup of Chai anyone?


 Recently I found this little recipe again, on a rolled up piece of scrap paper in a tea tin. It was acquired for me as a rather cheeky birthday present from a friend several years ago who pestered the wonderful tea makers at one of my favourite haunts in Glasgow for the recipe. It took me over 5 years to get round to making it and I've no idea why I hadn't before! It's yummmm and I had all the ingredients living on my spice shelf as a matter of course!

Anyway the one issue with this recipe is that there are no quantities (most likely a well kept secret!) Just funny little caution symbols and asterisks to indicate "a lot".

I did photograph how much I used the last time I made this,  but it wasn't as good as my first attempt. So, from two attempts with varying results, here are my top tips on making it.


1. My suggested quantities for 2 servings: 5 cardamom pods (take the cardamom out of the pod), 2 cinnamon sticks, about 3cm cubed chunk of ginger or 1 teaspoon of ground, 2 cloves, chilli to taste (chilli flakes is an easy way to do it), 4 black peppercorns (less if you prefer) or the equivalent. I used Darjeeling when making this and it tasted pretty good, so I don't think you need to be too pernickity on the tea front. Sugar and milk to taste.
2. Boil for a good 10 minutes and make sure you do a taste check before you add the milk
3. Allow to simmer after you've added the milk to bring out the flavour more.
4. Put in slightly more hot water than you think you need, boiling water evaporates a little.
5. Tea strainer is essential.
6. Experiment!



Enjoy :)

1 comment:

Penni said...

After taking all those picture of the ingredients from every angle in every light, you don't use any?!

I can certainly testify to the yumminess of the tea, though! :)